James is currently a CG Supervisor at Axis Studios. For over 6 years James has climbed the ranks, moving between assets and lighting while specializing in Environments.
He has worked on projects for major studios including – Microsoft, Sony, Blizzard, and Riot to name a few. His professional work covers in-game cinematics, game trailers, and advertisements in many different styles.
ENROLLMENT IS OPEN!
This is your opportunity to grow your skills and achieve your VFX goals.
The complementary course preview will immediately be sent to your inbox. By typing in your email you agree to subscribe to Rebelway’s weekly VFX newsletter and freebies.
This course will require 5-10 hours a week with 40-80 total hours of active learning and practice by the end of the course.
Your exact time commitment per week will vary based on the topic, assignment, and personal learning style. We strongly recommend dedicating time each week to learn and practice. If you ever fall behind, don’t worry, you will have lifetime access to the lessons.
Students should have an intermediate understanding of Houdini before taking this course. As a result, we recommend the following courses as a prerequisite:
• Houdini Fundamentals
• Introduction to Houdini for FX
If you have a working knowledge of Houdini you will likely succeed in this course.
If you are unsure if you are best suited to take this course, please reach out to us at [email protected]
• A general overview of the project.
• Art, Colors and Composition.
• How to best tackle large scale environment.
• How to analyse the real reference to closely reproduce it.
• Visual story telling.
• Understanding what we need to achieve, the tools available and the best workflow to use.
• A visual study of plants, trees and all elements needed for the large scale and close up shot.
• An introduction to Speed tree.
• Create the various trees.
• Create the various bushes and plants.
• Simple tree creation in Houdini as an alternative to speed tree (for RND only)
• Scene Assembly.
• Mask Generation Techniques.
• Procedural and efficient Scattering setup using Houdini and Arnold or other alternatives renders.
• Basic lighting.
• Shading and rendering the large scale terrain.
• Shading and texturing the various Trees and bushes.
• Prepping extra assets to enrich the environment.
• Advanced Lighting and refining the various visual aspects of the shot.
• How to setup all the aovs necessary to get the flexibility needed in comp.
• Introduction To Volume manipulation in Houdini.
• Volumetrics and cloud creation.
• Shading and lighting and rendering the cloud and atmospheric
• Reviewing all the passes and prepping data for comp.
• Initial compositing using Fusion.
• Initial compositing using Nuke.
• Refine the comp and tweaking.
• Lightning animation in comp
• Adding all the necessary tweaks to make the shot feel believable.
• Enhance the visual by adding 3d elements in comp.
( This workshop will be covered in Nuke and Fusion)
• An in-depth overview of USD And Lops in Houdini.
• A complete overview of how to use SOLARIS to recreate the shot and render it using Karma or any other available USD delegate.
• [PLEASE READ]: WE ARE STILL WORKING ON THE THE WEEKLY BREAKDOWN AND CONTENT WORKSHOP TO PROVIDE THE BEST LEARNING EXPERIENCE AND BALANCE THE WEEKLY AMOUNT OF INFORMATION. AND FOR THAT WE MAY DECIDE TO ADD OR REMOVE TOPICS.
• This workshop contains a lot more information and the weekly breakdown is just the highlights.
• Assignments and weekly lectures are very demanding and can be challenging to new Houdini users.
• It is required that the student have a very good understanding of CG and a good of Houdini SOPs to be able to follow along.
• Demo reel will be requested to verify that the student have the correct prerequisite.
• Students will be requested to provide a valid ID document.
Our community-centric courses are crafted to nurture a collaborative and exciting learning environment. With Rebelway, you will learn VFX while networking with fellow artists.
Our team of industry professionals are ready to help you achieve your CG goals. Let's grow your skills in the most exciting creative industry in the world.
It's time to unlock your creative potential.
All students in our Nuke courses receive student pricing discounts from The Foundry valued at over $5,000+
We've partnered with the 80 Level RFP program to provide Rebelway students with priority access to their RFP placement services.
We partner with world-class studios to provide our students with exclusive job postings that are unavailable to the outside public.
All Rebelway students will have perpetual access to our private chat group where we share resources, inspiration, technical Q&A, and more.
Earn rewards points towards future training for every course purchase and completion.
Engage in discussions with fellow FX students and chat with mentors directly on our private forums and chats.
We have a dedicated team of FX artists ready to give feedback on your work and course projects.
We are currently developing subtitles so VFX artists around the world can achieve their dreams.
We have an interactive quiz that you can take to figure out the best course for your skill level. You can take the quiz here.
If you are a beginner, we recommend taking our Houdini Fundamentals course.
If you are already familiar with Houdini, we recommend taking Introduction to Houdini for FX. This course is designed to be an overview of the essential techniques required to work on realistic FX in a modern studio pipeline. By the end of this course, you will have an intermediate level of Houdini knowledge.
If you are an experienced Houdini Artist, or if you already have an intermediate-level knowledge of the software, you can pick and choose any course on the site. Most of our courses are designed to give you specific skills required for different VFX projects (Water, Magic, etc.). So feel free to pick and choose as it makes sense for you.
However, if you ever have questions about which course is right for you, please reach out to our Student Assistance Team by emailing [email protected]. We’ll happily recommend the best course for you.
Our online program is designed to help aspiring VFX artists have a successful career in FX & CG. Unlike other online schools, our affordable courses are exciting and tactical. Through our courses, you will gain the exact skills you need to work on Hollywood-level VFX projects.
In fact, many of our alumni go on to get jobs working for studios such as Dreamworks, Blizzard, EA, & Google.
No, our lesson content is not streamed live. This means you can take the course at your own pace. We’ve designed our program to work around busy schedules.
We recommend the same specs listed by SideFX on this page.
It would be helpful if you could have 32GB of RAM or more, but it isn’t 100% necessary.
Many Rebelway students take multiple courses at once. While you could certainly sign up for as many courses as you want, we don’t recommend taking more than two courses at a time. A typical course will take anywhere from 5-10 hours a week to watch and practice, so depending on your schedule you can determine if it is feasible for you to take multiple courses at once.
Also, you will have lifetime access to the course lessons. So if you decide that the course becomes too much to follow, you can always follow along at your own pace if you fall behind.
You’ll also have lifetime access to the discord channel so you can get feedback on your projects and work even after the course has ended.
Yes! We are an online VFX school that delivers actionable and relevant FX education to the world.
Our online system allows us to deliver affordable education to aspiring CG artists around the world.
After successfully placing the order, you will receive an email with complete instructions on how to access your courses and private chat group.
The Rebelway online learning platform gives you lifetime access to all the videos and material provided with the workshops. You will also gain access to a private chat system forever. Once a rebel, always a rebel.
Every class has a dedicated professional instructor who will help you through lectures, project feedback, and Q&As. Every session is designed based on the needs of the student. As a result, every session is unique and updated with the latest FX techniques.
In our courses, you will have full-time support from our FXTAs (FX Technical Assistants). These artists will answer any questions you may have during the duration of the course.
Yes, we do offer Certificates of Completion with all our courses.
You may request a full refund within 14 days of the course start date. Email [email protected] to request a refund. Our team would be happy to help.
You do have lifetime access to the course. So if your schedule gets busy, you can always watch your material on your own time.
Yes, click here to download a free PDF with information regarding our courses, time commitment, and program features.
Our courses are designed to guide you through different modules at a comfortable and exciting pace. As a result, modules unlock on a weekly basis. Once purchased you will immediately have access to week #1.
If you purchased any of our short formed mini-courses, you will receive access to every lesson immediately.
Rebelway does not currently offer subtitles.
However, we want our education to reach everyone around the world. As a result, we are currently working on subtitles for our workshops in English, Japanese, Korean, Spanish and French. We strive to make our subtitles as good as we can.
Courses are designed with the goal to teach students how to use a tool-set and develop problem-solving skills. As a result, they are benefited from a group environment with an instructor available to answer questions.
Tutorials on the other hand focus on solving one or two problems in specific topics. They are generally standalone and do not require the instructor’s support.
HOW TO USE THE DISCOUNT POINTS
A purchase of a workshop priced at $499 will grant you 50 Points.
( 10% of the price )
If you have 300 points and want to purchase a product for $500, the maximum points you can redeem is 75, which is equal to 15% off the course price.
No risk. Just results.